Map of canals in France
Planning for canal and cycling holidays in France
La Ruelmain Brittany Cottages
home page - our sponsors
French Canals Map|
French Canals Maps: canals wherever
they are in France
www.ruelmain.co.uk/French Maps/France Canals Map
French Maps Home Page|
French Maps: airports, canals, regions
wherever it is in France
French Airports Map|
All the IATA approved French airports
Maps and airlines
www.ruelmain.co.uk/French Maps/France Airports.htm
||These pages will bring together (eventually) maps of all the French Canals. The maps will make it easier for walkers and cyclists to plan their trips, as nearby places and mileages are shown.|
On all the maps of individual canals, the canals are shown in blue (the 'target' canal) or purple (other connecting canals). Some of the maps well exceed normal screen sizes - to maintain readability.
French canals range from the old and picturesque, to modern and unlovely. The major groups are as follows:-
We haven't documented all the canals yet but concentrated on the old and picturesque since they are such fun to walk or bicycle beside
- constant, with small gradients, the cool of the water, and abundant wildlife where different ecosystems meet at the waters edge.
- Aquitaine - the Garonne Canal and the Canal du Midi.
- Breton Canals: Napoleonic, the chief being the Nantes to Brest Canal, with its offshoot, the Blavet Canal
- Parisian Group: A variety of old canals, much interconnected, many of which were built to serve Paris
- Rhone-Rhine Group - Canals of large capacity, with a lot of commercial traffic (not shown on the map).
- Northern Group - mostly modern commercial waterways (not shown on the map).
Navigation on the French Canals
Please click on any of the marker flags to see a canal in detail.
Please visit our Sponsors: ac-cruiser cycle & sail holidays
Visit ac-cruiser and find out about the most relaxing way to
tour Holland and Belgium. Tailor made 6 guests cycle & sail tours on
board our luxury, air conditioned, hotel barge Broedertrouw!